How to buy a 'splitter block'

A 'splitter block' is the ideal parcel of land to acquire for the purposes of a subdivision (i.e. making 1 lot, 2 lots). A 'splitter block' is a property that already has two allotments but are held in the one title, so if you can 'split' the lots onto two titles, then you can sell two parcels of land. Is it that easy? Well…

How to identify a splitter block:

To identify a splitter block, your best bet is to search the address using the Council interactive mapping system (or property search tools) and see if there if multiple allotments are attached to the property holding. For example, in the below image we can see that #48 & #50 McIlwraith Avenue are both on the same property holding. That means, there is already two lots making up the one property – A SPLITTER BLOCK!

This same method can be used throughout Queensland local council's and 'splitters' are not always just 2 lots, sometimes we find similar style properties could have 5-10 'lots' as part of the property holding. So it is worth looking at the mapping.

What do you have to do with a splitter?

To separate your titles, it will merely require you clear the land and to contact a conveyance solicitor to lodge some paperwork with the titles office. No Council approval necessary and no new services (eg. sewer, water, power…etc.) need to be put in place. Very straight forward but it is not always that easy.

Some key issues to look out for:

Generally, we find that splitters may have a character or heritage protected house sitting right in the middle of the property which will be difficult to remove. That means you cannot 'split' the titles because the titles office will not let you have a house sitting across a new boundary. As a result, you cannot split the lots onto new titles anymore and you really just purchased a single residential dwelling on two lots.

The other major issue aside from the building being protected is the lack of serviceability for the new allotment. For example, the property may only have one connection to a sewer line and the main runs through the neighbours property. Although it is not up to you to connect the new pipe, it will be hard to sell a property without any connections to services, so you would be best to sort it before you split the titles. Where problems can arise is if the neighbours refuse access to one of the integral services to be able to build a dwelling, thereby removing the ability to 'split' the titles (unless you just want a big vacant block of land that you can't build a house on).

There are other more subtle issues that can also have quite a big impact on the ability to do a splitter such as protected vegetation, steep slopes, the inability to get vehicular access to the vacant lot…etc. but generally where you are looking at a 'splitter' we always recommend to give one of our town planners a quick call to take a look.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to get in touch with one of our friendly town planners for a free initial consultation. 07 3317 0042 or